Friday, February 24, 2012

Its okay to break things

Sometimes...

Sometimes its better I throw stuff around rather than the kids. My kids are my favourite thing in life and generally provide all my highlights. As per my profile however - they take me to extremes at both ends. And as a trusty Gemini I am by nature an extremist [extremely excitable then suddenly extremely enraged] this is a feature that definitely has come out more since I've been a father.

It's my problem really - not theirs. Somehow I let all the little things (and they're really nothing) build up until I explode.

Example of consecutive 'little things';
- #3 wee's on the ground
- #2 lets #4 get the pens
- #4 draws on the couch
- #1 and #3 have a screaming match about wanting to read the same book
- #3 spills milk (not even the wise old saying can stop me by now...)
- #1, #2, #3, #4 leave toys and paper everywhere all over the ground in three rooms
- #2 asks me for food about 111 times in a row after I have just made him a sandwich

So I yell a bit - it doesn't really make me feel any better - in fact - I feel worse. So I remove myself from the area. Breathe...

Breathe...


Not long ago I got all the files taken off an old laptop that would start anymore.



On one of these days where all the little things added up I spotted above mentioned dead LG and decided to let it have it...!

It did feel good to launch it as hard as I could into the ground - it didn't shatter as much as I thought (and hoped) it might. So I gave it a few more whacks. It's okay to break things - just not your kids...






It should be noted that I'm recalling this story with a lot of "laugh at yourself" reflection and am feeling very chilled today. Today even as a solo parent we have had a walk to the shops (we = Dad + 4 kids) and had a smooth lunch. Now the kids are even reading to each other *JOY*.







I am interrupted as I type by rain - I am so chilled today that i allowed the following to occur (very unusual for me...)

:)

Puddles <--- click me for You Tube fun



Love you kids - I know your socks will always rock!

1 comment:

  1. This is your best yet. Loved it. And we clearly are living the same life..apart from the 4 kids part.

    ReplyDelete