Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Artist and the Inventor

I feeling like starting all my blogs with "So you know when the kids do / say... etc etc"

So I will.

So you know how kids say the most adorable amazing things - often completely out of left field. Well this happened to me this week (maybe Thursday morning).

Our family is moving back to Brisbane in January and we've been letting the kids in on it bit by bit. Some stuff they understand - like we'll be closer to Nan and Grandad and living in our old house (old in more ways than one unfortunately). Some stuff they don't get, for example, "O" told me all the people he wanted at his next Birthday party [which occurs when we're back in Bris] and listed all this Adelaide friends...

On the particular morning in question I was explaining to "S" & "O" how I'll be getting a new job - this fascinated them as I have worked at my organisation for over 17 years - given they are 6 yrs and 4 yrs it is needless to say that they have only ever know me to work at YYYY (not it's real name... =]). So they asked if I would do the same job as now but just be in Brisbane - I said no, a different job. They said will you just work for PPPP (a different brand of YYYY's that I worked in previously - and again I explained, no it will be a different job altogether with a different organisation.

They thought on this for a few moments.

I told them I was looking for a job in Brisbane and could do lots of different things but just not what I was doing now (all that they'd ever know of me). Then "O" says carefully, "You could be an inventor". He was completely serious. A moment later "S" advises me that I could be an Artist; she was full of confidence in her Daddy.

I looked at them both and felt such a sense of pride (after the initial amazement) - a parent wants to instil a sense of aspiration in their kids; the 'If I work hard I can be anything I want' mindset and here they were expecting that for me - suggesting creative and intelligent career options for me; reminding me to dream big and be the best that I can be. Gotta love 'em.

I can be anything I want to be - although those that know me best may be surprised to see me being an Artist and Inventor.

Thanks for the inspiration kids!

PK

1 comment:

  1. I think you could be an inventor or and artist or a basketball team owner, or a professional volleyballer, or an advertising executive, or a social media advisor, or a politician, a run a fabric empire, or be CEO at EdanRose, or the best public speaker/MC that Australia has ever seen!

    ReplyDelete